Monday, April 23, 2007

Saying goodbye

I'm sitting in an 110 year old building, looking out at a very large tree. There used to be some pictures here of this buidling from the outside, back when the university was new and the tree was just a sappling. Obviously some fool didn't think it would survive as they planted it only a few feet away from what was then the dormotories. Now, over 100 years later, it fills most of my window and towers over the roof above us.
Men have been circling my tree lately - they were here Friday, and again today. They kick at the roots and carrying clipboards they talk in hushed tones about my tree. Late Friday afternoon the gardener who looks like John Denver came by and stared up at the branches.
I of course know what this all means. This means my tree is going to go. One day, I'll unlock my office door and notice something is missing. The sunlight will stream in more directly. The squirrels who frequent my window will have to find a new place to live.
I've worked in this office 5-1/2 years now with my tree. I'm going to miss him......

No comments: